Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I know everything...well almost everything

I tell Anna that I know everything.  She used to believe me. 

Brad and I had made a pact saying that we would try our best not to lie to our children.  The majority of the time we follow through on this pact.  However, I may push the limit sometimes like when I tell Anna I know everything.  It all started right after she turned four. She would go get a snack of say chocolate covered almonds.  When she came to where I was I would ask how the chocolate covered almonds were.  She was amazed that I knew what she had eaten (I'm psychic!  JK...just watch too much Psych.  She would have chocolate smears on her face).  Or she would read a book in her room and not notice that I peeked in and saw what book she was reading.  I might come by later and ask how the book was.  She had no clue how I knew.  We decided that I was supermom that knew everything.  As the year went on she unfortunately got smarter.  She caught on to the fact that I was BSing some answers.  To try and trap me she would ask questions like "What is Daddy doing right now?"  I would make up an answer and she would leave me alone.  Now when she asks me a question and I don't know the answer she replies with "I thought you knew everything mom."  Little sass she is.  I finally had to admit that I know most everything with a few exceptions.

Yesterday Anna and I were sitting in my closet as I was organizing a drawer.  I asked what she wanted to talk about and she replied with "everything that I don't know".  I had a sinking feeling that I would know none of the answers.  For those of you that don't know questions my daughter asks here are some examples of previous questions : "do octopus have tongues?" "do snakes drink water?" "how is glass made?".  She asked a few questions then Matthew woke up and she went to play with him so I was off the hook without really answering a single question. 

She is a smart little cookie and if I do admit that I don't know the answer to something she makes us go look it up on the internet. 

I think there is still a glimmer of believing that Mama knows most everything and I will cling to the glimmer for a while.  I don't know when she will turn and believe that I know nothing, but hopefully she waits at least til the day after tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. i'm pretty sure i was about 8 when i figured out my mom didn't know everything. and by the time i was 12, she knew absolutely nothing...then i was around 20 when i decided she knew most everything, and what she didn't know, she'd figure out...what a smart girl you have on your hands! i like her questions. and you might as well keep telling her you know everything. ;) can't hurt, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh if only they stayed thinking we knew "everything"! Good thing is that everyone says sooner or later they begin to think we are wise again when they get older. :)

    ReplyDelete