Thursday, October 27, 2011

Books, books, and more books

I love to read.  Right now I have four books sitting in a pile by my bed calling for me to spend hours investing my time in their stories.  My first priority is to finish "The Help".  (I can't renew that one).  Oh, did I mention that I have another book waiting for me at the library?  Yeah, getting my house in order has to be done so I can devote more time in this wonderful hobby.  Or, I could ignore the house and just read.  Hmm, that sounds way more likely and a much better choice.  One of my favorite times of year is when we go home to the BV book sale.  I love buying books!!  I now have a problem at my house though as I no longer have room for books...guess we know what I will be buying.  My mom and grandma are to blame for this habit of mine.  Both of them have libraries at their house.  It is great! 

Anna is also an avid reader.  Ever since she was a wee little one she has loved to read.  I remember her being 5/6 months and her sitting in my lap as I read a few board books to her.  The older she grew the more books she would want you to read.  She had an uncanny attention span for reading.  I would read a whole row of books to her and be done but she would want to keep going.  This last year we got into reading short chapter books and I have treasured that time with her.  In fact, I get a little jealous whenever someone else reads a "Young Cam Jensen" mystery to her.  I anxiously await for her to be old enough to read series like "The Chronicles of Narnia", "Best Friends", "Boxcar Children", "Little House on the Praire", and so many more.  When I was growing up my parents both read to me. I have wonderful memories of reading with my mom.  When I was a teenager, my dad and I used to read the same book then have a discussion of what we thought of the book.  I'm thankful that my parents did this with me (especially since my mom doesn't even like to read....that was love :P) I can't wait to keep up this tradition.

Matthew on the other hand does not have this uncanny attention span for reading.  It has just been in recent weeks that he will sit through a short picture board book (his favorites are ones of animals).  I will keep pestering him with books and hope that as he ages he will develop a love for reading.  He will have to to live in our family :P

To end I wanted to put some of my favorite books in general.  I know after I end I will think of many others, but oh well :P

Gerald and Piggy books by Mo Williams (they are hilarious...skip the pigeon and cat books by him though..waste of time)
Karma Wilson books....she wrote my all time favorite baby book called "Baby Cakes"
Eric Carle...Brown Bear, Brown Bear was read quite a few hundred times :P
Nate the Great
Young Cam Jensen
Chester the Cat Writes Again
Clack, Clack, Moo (I can't remember the author's name but the books she writes are hilarious!)
Berstain Bears
Franklin
Arthur
Mercer Mayer
Frank Peretti books
Tedd Dekker...his early writings
John Grisham
Laura Levine
The Princess
And the book that changed my thinking.....Ragamuffin Gospel

There are so many more that I can't even think of.....

No comments:

Post a Comment