Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Anna and the Christmas Cards

Right now B, A, and M are all at church.  I am enjoying my brief time alone!  I have started doing several projects (just to make sure nothing gets done :P)  I needed to put an animal away in Anna's room and saw some papers sticking out from under her cubbies.  I knew what they were...the Christmas cards she has been working on.

To back up...my darling daughter has a characteristic that she most certainly did not get from Brad nor I.  She likes to be prepared for things way in advance.  For instance, her friend had a birthday party coming up.  Five days ahead of the party she came out with a birthday card that she drew for her friend.  She tells me, "Mom, I decided to make this card now because I do not know if I will have time later and I want to make sure it is done."  Yeah, I'm lucky if I have a card ready on the day of the person's birthday.  Last night we headed to gymnastics and she asked if we could make her coaches a card like we have done previously.  I said of course and she replied that we better get started tomorrow.  She thrives when we sit down in the mornings and plan out what we need to get done.  She has begged me to do this (which is saying a lot since she is five).  I asked her why she liked doing that so much and she said it helped her to remember what all needed to get done.  I admit that I work a million times better when I have things planned out, just struggle with the planning part.  I think God gave her to me so that He could get me straightened out :P 

Back to the Christmas cards.  Randomly the other day Anna comes out of her room and announces that she made me and Brad our Christmas cards.  We laugh and tell her good job on getting those done.  Over the next few days she has made more. One thing we are not allowed to do is look at the cards.  She did allow us to see one.  The card she declares most important...the card she made for Jesus since it is His birthday.  Can I just say that I have a good kid?!  I'm so grateful that she can see beyond all the materialism and focus on the heart of the holiday.  I worry that all the fun of getting presents and decorations and the other gobblygook gets in the way of teaching her the love that we are supposed to have for Christmas.  Ok, now she isn't perfect and does expect presents and wants lots of them which she probably will get. 

I got off topic again...so focusing...I just couldn't help myself tonight.  I peeked at the cards.  It is horrible I know.  The one thing she asked me not to do I did.  I looked at the the cards and melted.  Tears came to my eyes.  Her pictures were wonderful and you could feel her love pouring off the pages.  They are the simpilist of pictures...nothing fancy, but have more worth than any present she could buy me.  Now I understand when you here moms say "oh, you don't need to get me anything, just make me a card".  Hugs and kisses Anna, all I want is a card :)

No comments:

Post a Comment